Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Jude Chapter 1: Be Weary of False Teachings

I started reading the book of Jude today. I only read the first chapter. The main thing that I was reminded of was to be aware of false teachers. False teachers are everywhere. They lead us to sin and destruction. This is a good example of what false teachers do. They look out only for themselves and distort Biblical teachings to do so. The Bible is clear, in order to reject false teachings, one needs to grow in the knowledge of Christ. This lead me to this question:

How do I know that my beliefs are the right beliefs? I am not talking about things like the fact that Jesus was the son of God. He was crucified for our sins and rose from the dead three days later. I KNOW those things are true. But what about other church doctrines? For instance, I have seen arguments that evangelicalism was a command to the disciples, not us. I believe this to be incorrect, but am I sure I am right? Many baptists frown on women in any leadership role in the church. I'm a little more liberal on this issue, but how do I know I am right? Look at the several different denominations. They all have something that separates them from the others. How do they know their "way" is better than the others?

I don't think it is wrong to question my beliefs. As a matter of fact, I think it can only make them stronger.

How do you know that what you believe is right?

Proverb of the Day: Proverbs 9:11
"Wisdom will multiply your days and add years to your life."

2 comments:

  1. Michael, I would be interested in hearing your answers to your questions. How do you know your beliefs are correct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must examine (try if you will) what we believe. I still go to the church where I was raised. How do we know we are right if we don't get into the Word.
    God Bless You

    ReplyDelete