Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Random Thoughts

I was at a good friend's wedding a couple weekends ago and witnessed something that made me think. During the toast the best man talked about how God was evident in the relationship of the bride and groom. My first instinct was, "yeah right". They lived together a while before getting married.

I find myself having these reactions quite often. Maybe an athlete with talk thank God for his abilities, then go drop the F Bomb when he gets a bad call, or a musician will thank God for giving him/her the ability to sing that song about drugs, prostitutes, and violence, or someone I see at church spends their weekends getting plastered at a bar.

These situations occur all the time and I always think to myself "some Christian they are". I've been thinking though, how do I come off? I certainly hope people don't see the way I act and think "another Christian who lives his life no different than I".

I am not saying that Christians are perfect. We aren't. We sin . . . a lot. But can people recognize us as being legitimately remorseful for our sinful acts or do they see us as just arrogant folks who think we own morality?

1 comment: