Thursday, August 28, 2008

So, You Want To Get Your PhD?

So I've officially survived all of my classes at least once. The class I teach should be a breeze. The students seem to be very talkative and I like to think that I am a little more interesting than the average gray-haired, sweater vest-wearing professor. The classes I'm taking on the other hand . . . ugh. It is going to be a long semester. It isn't that the classes are difficult. It is that they are pointless. At this point in my PhD career these classes do nothing but waste time. The administration wants to get us through the program as quickly as possible, yet they drop massive amounts of pointless work on us. The bureaucracy around here is smothering and it's driving me insane. I, along with almost all of my colleagues, don't want to be here anymore. We want to be gone or done, . . . preferably both.

There was much more, but it was more of a rant about the fallacy of political science, which I'm sure no one cared to read.

2 comments:

  1. The administration will just love reading your comments about the "waste of time classes!"

    Hey...I have my earned doctorate as well...trust me...I KNOW! I KNOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Masters. Happy at that. A PHD? Not a chance. Heck, I don't even want the Doctorate. Reckon that makes my friend Steve much smarter than me. Hope you have a good year.

    ReplyDelete