Monday, September 8, 2008

God is Light!!!

I started reading 1 John today. I only read two chapters, but there was quite a bit of information in those few verses. Here are some of my favorites:

1 John 1:5
"This is the message he has given us to announce to you: God is light and there is no darkness in him at all."
Two things come to mind. 1) How awesome is it that we serve a God completely engulfed in light? He is there, open, waiting, and ready for us. He is ready to reveal Himself--all of Him--to us. 2) How would I be viewed if there was no darkness in my life? Would my secrets or what I do behind closed doors bring people to Christ or lead them into a worldly life?

1 John 2:9
"If anyone says, 'I am living in the light,' but hates a Christian brother or sister, that person is still living in darkness."
I can honestly say that I don't hate anyone. I wish no ill will on anyone, including my enemies. However, I would be foolish if I said I love everyone. Many times I am just apathetic. There are people in this world who probably think I want to see them fail. To those people, I probably appear to hate them. Even though I may not, my attitude towards them does not provide them an example of Christ's love. Gotta work on that one!!!!

1 John 2:17
"And this world is fading away, along with everything it craves. But if you do the will of God you will live forever."
I want to live forever and I am growing more confident in my salvation, but what is God's will for my life?

There are also several verses on antichrists. We are told to be aware of anyone that leaves the church and tells us that "Jesus is not the Christ."(1 John 2:22)

Anyways, those are just a couple of thoughts from the first two chapters of 1 John.

Proverb of the Day: Proverbs 8:35
"For whoever finds me (wisdom) finds life and wins approval from the Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment