Monday, June 16, 2008

Hebrews 10:19 - 13:25: Superiority of Faith

I finished Hebrews today starting with chapter 10 verse 19. These final chapters were pretty intense. There was everything in here from the fact that God created the universe from nothing, to the fact that He disciplines those He loves, to reminding us not to stray from Him. I will be focusing on the main theme of these chapters which was faith.

They begin by showing the superiority of faith. Without faith in God we have no salvation. Then, of course, comes Faith's Hall of Fame. We've all heard the stories of Noah, Abraham, Moses, etc., but I still can't fathom the faith it took to act the way they did. Whether it was building a massive ark, preparing to sacrifice your son, or choosing to live among the oppressed instead of the wealthy and powerful, all of these men had to have an amazing amount of faith. I question whether or not I have this type of faith. I most definitely have this faith when things are going good. I might even show signs of it when things are going bad. I just can't imagine me giving up everything I have to do something that might seem crazy for God. I hope that my faith grows to be as strong and steadfast as those mentioned in Hebrews 11. It will take a long time, much discipline, and a lot of God to get me there.

The verses that really stuck out are below. Hebrews 11:32-39:
"32And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets, 33who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, 34quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies. 35Women received back their dead, raised to life again. Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection. 36Some faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison. 37They were stoned; they were sawed in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated— 38the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground.

39These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised."


Proverb of the Day: Proverbs 16:33

"We can throw the dice, but the Lord determines how they fall."



No comments:

Post a Comment