Monday, December 1, 2008

Galatians, Peter, and Contemporary Legalism

I started reading Galatians today. I completed the first two chapters this morning. I like how bold Paul was. He said that his purpose wasn't to please men, not even church leaders. His goal was to serve God. He was also very bold in his public denunciation of Peter who believed people were saved by faith, yet acted as though people were saved if they obeyed the law. Paul said, "We Jewish Christians know that we become right with God, not by doing what the law commands, but by faith in Jesus Christ" (2:16).

I have no dispute with Paul's words. I'm sure this verse is used quite often when preaching against the idea that we are saved by works. My thought was about current legalism. What are the current legalistic restrictions we put on people in order to deem them worthy of eternal life with God? No, it isn't A.D. 49, and we don't care much for Jewish law anymore, but we Christians do have a more contemporary legalistic tradition.

For example, my mother-in-law doesn't like how I dress when I go to church. Even though I think dress doesn't matter, I sometimes get confused when people show up in flip flops and athletic shorts to Sunday service. That is me being hypocritical.

Another contemporary law that I believe we focus on (especially us Baptists) is drinking. The Bible doesn't say don't drink. It says don't be led astray by alcohol or liquor. Why do we automatically assume that someone who has an occasional beer or glass of wine is a faux Christian?

As silly as it sounds, some even accuse those who are politically liberal as not being Christian. While I'm the most conservative (NOT Republican, NOT neoconservative) person you will ever meet (or read), I really don't think God is registered with either political party.

Those are just some thoughts I had this morning. Have I missed the point in any of these examples? If so, please let me know. Are there other legalistic traditions that we Christians need to step away from? If so, what?

5 comments:

  1. Sadly I used to be part of that type of legalism. I get so angry at myself for having been that way but praise God for getting me out of that. I am not Baptist but for so long took the "can't do this" way of belief too far. I also think legalism can be experienced doctrinally i.e, baptism for salvation, you have to believe in TULIP, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TULIP is the 5 points of Calvinism. I can't tell you what they stand for but my very Baptist brother can. Surprised you don't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Calvinism versus Arminianism positions of salvation and addresses these 5 issues:

    1. Depravity - What is your condition?
    2. Election - who choses whom?
    3. Atonement - Who can be saved?
    4. Grace - can I reject God?
    5. Security - does it stick?

    Calvinists believe:
    Totally Depravity (totally corrupt)
    Unlimited Election (all are elect)
    Limited Atonement (many, but not all people will be saved)
    Irresistable Grace (can't resist the draw by the Holy Spirit)
    Perseverance (once saved always saved)

    Arminianists believe:
    Free Will
    Conditional Election
    Unlimited Atonement
    Resistable Grace
    Possibility of Loss

    The degree of your "calvinism" is based on the number of points you agree with - all 5 points, only 4 points, etc.

    Here's a pretty good description with scripture ref's. Hope this helps...

    And no, this wasn't off the top of my head - I took an 8-week class for the lay-leaders at my church this past fall, and this was the major part of the lecture on salvation. I happened to snap a couple pics of my notes on Monday, as I was considering using them as ref material for one of my posts. Now I know it was "for such a time as this." ;-)

    ReplyDelete