Monday, December 8, 2008

Jesus Saves Souls, Lubbock Style!

If you don't know by now, I live in Lubbock, Texas. It's a growing city of a little more than 200,000 people. It isn't huge by any stretch, but for a small town Texas boy like myself, it seems like a bustling metropolis. Lubbock is one of the few places in the country that has been left nearly untouched by the financial crisis. Houses are being built, help wanted signs are everywhere, and people are moving here from all over the nation.

At a time when most people are scared for their lives because of the pressing financial situation, there is at least one man who has put his life in God's hands. That man, Johnny Landrum, lives right here in Lubbock. You see, Johnny sold all of his possessions and made a sign that says "Jesus Saves Souls". He takes that sign and stands on a busy street corner every day, all day. He says he did this because God told him too. Admittedly, when I hear stories like this, I am kind of skeptical. I always think "this person is crazy". However, I think Johnny is legit.

You can read the article here. You can watch the news clip at that site as well. Now, I don't know much about Mr. Landrum. I don't know a lot about his theology or how he got to this point. What I do know is that this man is really energizing a lot of people around town. I pass his street corner at least once a day; usually several times. My wife teaches at the Christian High School whose corner he stands on. Needless to say, we see a lot of him and he is rarely alone. It's really cool to see him out there rain or shine, cold or warm, morning or night, etc. When he first started, he was there all by himself. Now, he almost always has someone standing by him or a local motorist stopped to give him some aid.

Anyways, I don't know what will come of his actions, but I find it quite a story.

5 comments:

  1. And if he reaches just one person to come to Christ, it'll be worth it. Great story of experiencing God, since he saw where God was asking him to work, so he can make an impact in someones life - maybe even yours. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its pretty amazing what he has done.... I see him 3 times a day or more, 8am 12noon evenings... I give him a power sign everyday!!!! My 17 year old son and all my friends have discussed Johnny... I personally have never stopped and talked because his message is so powerful.... you dont have to stop you know why he is there..... You would have to be completely insane what the world may think... or you know.... God told him to do this and he would be provided for... and God is providing... I have no doubt because he would be still be there in this weather .... Cold Rain Snow Shine Wind.... That man is just as dependable as the mail man ;) or God.... just deliver the message!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He would not still be there is what I meant!



    He dont fumble his words up like I do....

    his message...


    JESUS SAVES SOULS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johnny,You are very much admired for what you do.We worked together and I know you work hard at all you do. I always loved to visit with you because you always shared his word with me.You are
    Gods child and I learned alot through you.I look forward to stopping by and seeing you soon
    Thank You for listening to his will, not surprised
    you always have. God bless! Your friend Norma

    ReplyDelete