Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Here's Your Sign?


If you've been reading this blog (which I'm sure millions of you have been), you know that I'm kinda in transition. I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life. This morning I was reading in Matthew and ran across verse 39 of chapter 12. It reads, "But Jesus replied, 'Only an evil, faithless generation would ask for a miraculous sign; but the only sign I will give them is the sign of the prophet Jonah.'"

At this particular time Jesus was talking about how many of the Pharisees wanted Jesus to prove he was from God. While I will admit I am taking a bit of liberty with the verse, I think it applies to many of us even if we belief He is from God. How often do we pray for direction and then ask for a sign? How often to we ask God for a sign that what we are doing is right?

I'm not saying that God isn't in the sign business. I believe that I could walk into my bedroom 5 minutes from now and there, plastered on the wall, could be a huge sign saying "Michael, do X. Love, God" It could happen! But ya know, when I read this verse I was reminded that faith is so important. God doesn't create faith with signs. That is evidence. We have faith because we need no evidence. Faith is action on our part in the absence of evidence. God may not tell me "Michael do X". He might not tell me anything, but I might very well do X, or Y, or Z, or whatever. As long as I have faith that God will direct my path, I don't need signs. If I have faith that God knows what is best for me, even if I step out in faith and do the wrong thing, God will bring me back to exactly where he wants me.

So often when people are making big decision, I hear them say, "I don't want to make the wrong decision. I want to do what God wants me to do." Right before I committed to come get my Ph.D. I said those very words. A very wise friend said, "Michael, no matter what decision you make, even if you make the wrong one, God is big enough to fix it." She had faith in God's plan for me while I was stuck looking for signs. I am so thankful for her and her wisdom. I need to remember to approach life like that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying go willy nilly, do whatever you want to and God will fix it. I'm saying that God doesn't sit around with a remote control directing our every movements through some sort of signal to us. I think a lot of times, He wants to see what we can do with our faith, so He puts us on autopilot.

So, that's just a little note to myself about how I need to have faith in God. Don't wait. Go. Do. Step out onto the water.

5 comments:

  1. God bless you, bro!

    I wanted to share a quick story. When our church decided to invest in a new sign, I was giddy waiting for the moment that I could put the first message on it. I had been thinking about it for months. When the time came, it read, "Waiting for a sign to visit our church? This is it!"

    Ok, maybe it wasn't a great story or even a good message on the sign, but I wanted to share it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is excellent advice. Many times Christians get too complacent while waiting for a sign from God. One of the best courses I've studied was "Decision Making and the Will of God" at Stand to Reason (www.str.org).

    It emphasizes the "wisdom model" of decision making, where we start with God's moral laws (pretty clearly outlined in the Bible) then we ask for and apply wisdom, then we take into account personal preferences. The system works! We actually have tremendous freedom in Christ and don't have to look around for hints from God.

    If God really wants you to know something He'll make it quite clear.

    Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, Rick!

    Michael, often we get into analysis paralysis when we fear making the wrong decison. I finished Experiencing God a few weeks back (Henry Blackaby study), and I highly recommend it. God does communicate with us, through the Holy Spirit via prayer, the Bible, church, and circumstances to reveal Himself, His purposes, and His ways. A summary of the study can be found here.

    "Be still, and know that I am God." Ps 46:10, among other verses telling us to be still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael: Only God knows what He truly has in store for you and Tabitha. I remember when you initially asked for us to pray for you and I wrote it down in my Moleskine and make it a matter of daily prayer. However, I can't remember the date. Anyway, you are prayed for daily and as Camey is so fond of saying, "Dangerous prayers are prayed." Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michael. I noticed in my stats that you have me on your blogroll and to my shock and awe there I am right there on your bar. Wow. Thanks for the link love, man. I look forward to reading more on your site.

    Heidi Reed

    ReplyDelete