Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I Seem To Have Misplaced My Spiritual Gift(s)

I continued my reading in Matthew today (I'm slow. I know.) and read the parable of the talents. This one really got me thinking today. Do I use my talents like the first two servants or like the third?

Honestly, I can't answer this question. Why? Because I have no clue what my spiritual gift(s) is(are). I mean no clue. I do know, however, it is not music. I really don't even know what my non-spiritual gifts are. I'm good at a lot of things, but I don't really excel at anything.

Perhaps I should make a belated New Year's resolution to figure out what my gifts are and to invest in them. I most definitely don't want to be a "wicked and lazy servant" of God (Matt. 25:26). I want to be the guy that doubles, triples, quadruples my talents for God. I just have to figure out what they are.

The journey continues . . .

3 comments:

  1. Henry Blackaby has a book and a woorkbook, What's So Spiritual About Your Gifts? (more info), which you might find useful.

    I'm not certain what my gifts are, either, but I do feel that I'm in a developmental phase, learning to grow closer and getting equipped for the time that He calls me to "action."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I need to do one of those spiritual gifts workshops. Part of me is lazy and part of me is a little scared of what my gifts might be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean - fear of what God would ask me to do really hindered my walk for a very long time. I wanted to draw close to Him, to have a relationship like I've really only heard about, but that fear - I'm going to be sent to the deepest, darkest Africa, or something - kept me from jumping in. It was only when I realized that it didn't really matter what He asks me to do, as long as I do it, because He will have equipped me with whatever I need to be successful for His glory in advance. It's all about our obedience to Him.

    ReplyDelete