Thursday, January 1, 2009

Update on Congressional Pay Raises: A Hat Tip to Congressman Barrett (R - S.C.)


A couple of weeks ago I posted this about Congress getting a raise during the current recession. I find it completely ridiculous. However, all is not lost. South Carolina Congressman Gresham Barrett is giving the extra money earned from his raise to Interfaith Ministries because, "lawmakers should not be earning more during these poor economic times." You can find the news clip here.

This guy is a REAL leader. Charities often suffer in tough economic times. It's awesome to see him step up.

I have always thought that Congressmen should work pro bono so as to make sure that only those who want to serve their country are in office. It will never happen, but I hope that other Congressmen follow Rep. Barrett's lead and donate their raises to charity.

If I had my hat on, I would tip it to you Mr. Barrett.

2 comments:

  1. Michael: I too tip my hat to Mr. Barrett. For some this would be grandstanding. for him, I think it is different. Now, if we can get those other bozos to do something like this or vote to recant their pay raises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?!?! Integrity to describe a politician?!?! That's a rare find in these days of entitlement. I hope his constituents truly understand how fortunate they are to be represented by The Honorable Mr. Barrett, and I truly wish him a long tenure on the Hill - maybe some of it will rub off on his colleagues.

    One can only hope...

    ReplyDelete