Sunday, January 11, 2009

Life Driven By Prayer





Yesterday while I was driving through town I saw a church sign that said "Is prayer your steering wheel or your spare tire?" I thought it was ingenious. So often we rely on prayer when we are in trouble. How many of us use prayer to guide our path as opposed to using it to get us where we want to go?

I try to let prayer be my steering wheel, but I fail miserably. I think it is because I don't always know how to let prayer guide me. Praying in a time of need is incredibly easy. Even people who attend church twice a year believe in prayer when they they are in trouble.

How can I learn to pray for guidance? What do I need guidance in? How do I know that my answers come from prayerful consideration instead of hopes, dreams, and a little prayer here and there? What does a life look like that is guided by prayer?

3 comments:

  1. Well, my wife (a certified English teacher) would cringe at the poor grammar ("Are" not "Is"), but I agree with the point. Just like there are "no athiests in foxholes" when the bullets are whizzing by.

    But the Bible also says when we are weak and don't know what to pray for, the Holy Spirit will intercede on our behalf - Rom 8:26.

    Pray for wisdom, that the Lord will lead you where He needs you to be and for discernment to be able to recognize Him where He's working, so you can join Him for His purposes.


    How will you know your prayers have been answered? The Holy Spirit will let you know. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I just did a poor job of proof reading. All in all, that is not surprising.

    Thanks for the reply. It was helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I've been corrected on the grammar front - you were right and I was wrong. "Is" in that position is the proper form for the question under the "Is prayer X or Y..." principle.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete